Friday, September 3, 2021

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Listening to this, I realized that I basically know absolutely nothing about the Dominican Republic and its culture or history. I had no idea about their past with dictators and uprisings (although I guess it shouldn't be too surprising since it's the Caribbean...) and I knew nothing about what Dominican people are like. Even though I have a brother who served his two year mission there, and loved it! So it was a real eye-opener to listen to this book and to learn about Dominican culture and experience it. I loved how this book covered several generations and stories--it almost felt like each chapter was its own short story at the beginning. I felt so bad for Oscar and his dreams of being in love, and I liked how the narrator was revealed about halfway through the book as being a real character and someone who knew Oscar and who had his own perspective and personality. Basically, it was a really fun read. I didn't love all the swearing and talking about sex, but that was part of the story and part of the narrator being who he was. I'd wanted to read this one for forever, so I'm glad I finally did.

No comments:

Post a Comment