Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Hour of the Witch by Chris Bohjalian

I loved this historical fiction turned thriller about a Puritan woman trapped in an abusive relationship and how she managed to get herself out of it. I thought Mary Deerfield was a really believable character--she was a woman of her time, with the time's prejudices and beliefs, but she was also able to see where she was not to blame and to be strong enough to get herself out of danger (as much as possible). I felt like this was a women's power story, with Mary as the heroine and the witches as the supporting cast who swoop in and save the day at the end. It is so creepy to imagine being stuck in a world like that, but (spoiler alert!) so relieving to see her escape at the end. I really enjoyed this audiobook and kept coming back to it and listening while doing other things because I was dying to figure out what was going to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment