Monday, November 29, 2021

Night by Elie Wiesel

I've never gotten around to reading this, even though I've always heard about it as a Holocaust story and a classic that everyone should read. I have had it on my shelves for years, and it's so short that I really should have done it a long time ago. In the end, I started and finished it on the same night, so it went really fast. But it was so sad--I think that's part of the reason why I never read it--and so horrifying to read what Wiesel went through in the concentration camps during WWII. It was crazy to read about how his family was living their normal lives and how slowly things changed and got worse and worse, but they still thought they were going to be okay--until all of a sudden, they were killed. It was just a gradual change and they were so used to being orderly and obedient--just like us. It really makes you question, what if this happened here? This happened there, and they were just normal people just like us. Wiesel really wanted people to think about what how people saw them and knew what was happening, but didn't do anything about it. We need to not be like that.

As a side note, this was my 1000th book that I've read on Goodreads. Not too shabby! I was super pleased to hit that milestone!

No comments:

Post a Comment