Monday, April 16, 2018

Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill by Maud Hart Lovelace

I was sick yesterday, so I spent all of Sunday afternoon lying in bed trying not to throw up (thank goodness for Tommy!), and I read two Betsy-Tacy books while laying there. I accidentally read them out of order, so I read this one after Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown, and I think that made me like this one a little bit less than I would have. Because Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown is possibly one of my favorites of the whole series (although I have to read the other six to decide that for sure!). Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill is charming and cute and I love the story of them meeting the Syrian refugees (and I definitely love and support the overall message of being welcoming and kind to these new Americans). I also loved the chapter about them falling in love with the King of Spain and how they pinned his picture to their undergarments, hahaha. It just is so perfect. And the chapters about the fight they had with Katie and Julia over who would be queen just is so real--I can completely imagine that exact thing happening between me and my siblings as well. But it doesn't have the thrill of Downtown and the just slightly older writing style, which makes it feel more like a book for an older kid. I still love this one though.

No comments:

Post a Comment