Monday, March 7, 2022

I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After Twenty Years Away by Bill Bryson

I loved this book so much when I first encountered it years ago. I remember reading it out loud to some of Tommy's family in the car in China in 2009! So it has been a while since I first read this. Bill Bryson is such a hilarious writer and I love that he is so matter-of-fact and basic while also making funny observations. Tommy and I re-listened to this while on our get-away road trip to Fredericksburg in March and it was a great audiobook for our drive. I feel like my appreciation for it this time around was less than I remembered, though--although some of his points still resonate, like him talking about how Americans don't walk anywhere ever. I still think about that all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment