Friday, March 11, 2022

The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera

This book won the Newbery Award for 2021, and as soon as I heard it had won I checked it out from the library to read it. Petra and her family get on one of the only three spaceships to leave earth before a comet hits the planet, and they are supposed to stay in hypersleep for something like 500 years until they reach the new planet where they are going to live. But when she wakes up, her family is all gone and the people who are running the ship have gone rogue and are not following the plans, so Petra has to figure out how to fool the people on the ship and escape safely. It was kind of a creepy and scary dystopian novel, which I think was totally fine, but I bet it would be hard for Dane to read, especially with the family disappearing. I think he'd probably be fine but we'll see. I really liked it and I thought it raised some interesting questions about what makes us human and what makes each of us "us" in a kid-appropriate way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment