Wednesday, March 2, 2022

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

I am so disappointed that I never read this book as a child. It was really good and I can tell that it was one I would have loved even more if I had read it when I was in the correct audience age it was aimed for. It tells the story of Harry Crewe, who lives in what sounds like a version of Imperial Britain which also has magic, and she is kidnapped and then adopted by a tribe of magical itinerant natives who teach her how to access the magic within her and help her to claim her true identity as a leader over their tribe and to stop the war that is impending. I really loved this story and how empowering it was. I think this is one my boys would love later. I chose to read this because it was first written before the Newbery award winner that came after it (although that one was a prequel to this one... confusingly) and I'm glad I did. It was worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment