Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Book #14: State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

I love when I read books that have an intriguing storyline; who doesn't? But I love it even more when the book sounds as beautiful as the plot does. The language and writing style in State of Wonder really fit my ideal of beautiful writing, and that made me love the book from the moment I first popped the CD into my car.

In this book, Marina Singh, a pharmacologist from Minnesota, has to travel down to the Amazon to track down a very uncommunicative researcher who is working for her company. But she's going down there after her friend and co-worker, who went before her, dies down there. It's a very traumatic-sounding story, and you get thrust into the action right from the very beginning. Once Marina gets down to Brazil, the plot slows down--but Patchett describes everything so well and so beautifully that it doesn't really bother me.

Two things that I was not a huge fan of: I don't know how believable the "drug" was that they were working on down in the Amazon (they supposedly found a tree that allowed women to remain fertile forever), and I hated the ending. I won't tell you what it was, but it made me really mad. But the rest of the book was good enough that I would still recommend it, up to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment