Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Books #17, 18, and 19: The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I kind of feel like it's cheating to add these books to my list, since I've read them each two (or three?) times before and because they only take me about 3 hours to read. I started the first one yesterday at around 4:00, and I just finished the last one. Yeah, I know. You'd think I'd have more to do than read The Hunger Games all over again--I am graduating soon and have to write my capstone and all--but we went to see the movie on Saturday and I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I went with it.

I will not say that The Hunger Games are even close to HP--don't even try and say that. But they're really fun and addicting reads because they are so EXTREMELY plot-driven, which also allows me to plow through them at the speed of light. I just can't get over some of the annoying things Suzanne Collins does as she writes--she's a great storyteller, but I would not say she's a great writer. Her prose is not smooth enough for me to fall in love with, even though it's distracting enough--that's about as concise as I can get it. Obviously I like the books though, since I've now read them three times each (or four?) and don't mind it a bit.

One thing: Suzanne Collins is AWFUL at dealing with endings. The ending of the series--the epilogue--is so anticlimactic it drives me crazy. The conversation Katniss and Peeta have at the end of the first Hunger Games when he finds out she was just acting the whole time lasts like ONE PAGE. How was there not more that went into that? That drove me crazy.

Sidenote: There are lots of obnoxious comma splices in her writing. Learn to use a dash and semicolon, lady! Also, I hate it when she does this thing where she doesn't follow a quote with the proper punctuation:

"Oh" is all that comes out of my mouth.

It looks SO WRONG AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

No comments:

Post a Comment