Saturday, March 24, 2012

Book #16: Bound on Earth by Angela Hallstrom

I bought this book around six months ago. I was really excited to read it when I got it, but I never got around to it--it sat on my bookshelf staring at me, and I avoided it. I was nervous to read it, scared of it.

It's a book about Mormon families, a specific Mormon family, and their trials and how they get through them and how those trials test their limits and their family ties. It feels like it's about me, my family, our extended family, right now. With most books, there's a disconnect, because even when I relate to the characters and connect to their experiences I can always separate myself--they don't really know me or have that many similarities to me. But this book did. And it scared me before I read it (and even after getting through the first few chapters) because it felt like their trials were going to be my trials, or at least our family's trials.

But that's just a sign of how good of a book it really is, right? I felt connected to it, even though I didn't even want to. Hallstrom really knew what she was writing about. And the book ends with the feeling that, no matter how difficult we families are here on earth, they are worth it. So it really makes you feel good, along with all those struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment