Sunday, July 6, 2014

Book #45: I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

I didn't really have any intention of reading this book when I'd seen it in the media; although I have heard of Malala and was very sad about what had happened to her, I didn't think it would be necessary to read a book about her getting shot. But the book turned out (of course) to be much more than that--it was practically a history of her area of Pakistan and the increase of the Taliban there and how her parents and she became involved in standing up against the Taliban and the oppression against people and women in their culture. It was absolutely fascinating, and terrifying, to hear about the changes that ensued in their culture over the last twenty or so years, how the situation for women has worsened and what specific tactics the Taliban used to grasp power and change people's opinions. It sounded a lot like what I have heard about the Nazis rise to power in Germany, and it is very, very scary to imagine something like that happening in the place where you live. You live a certain way, and then all of a sudden people come along and take control and change peoples' minds about what you should and should not do. Very scary and intimidating. Malala seems like a very, very bright girl who was very, very lucky to have such encouraging and accepting parents who gave her such opportunities to learn in such an environment. I really do hope she can accomplish what she wants.

This book reminded me in a lot of ways of other books I've read in the past. Obviously it reminded me of Greg Mortenson's books Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools because of the discussion of girls' education in Pakistan (even a lot of the regions she mentions seem familiar to me from having read/listened to those books a few years ago). I loved reading about her culture and her life in Pakistan. Her memoir-type writing also reminded me of Elizabeth Smart's book about her experiences. It made me sad how Malala (and Elizabeth) had to write disclaimers at several points to respond to attacks people have made towards her and her family, saying that it was her father's fault that she was attacked or that she just wanted to get out of Pakistan to live a life of luxury in England. It also makes me sad and amazed to think about all of the other victims of the Taliban and terrorists, in that region alone, who do not receive 1/10th of the care or attention that she's received, but she's received this basically free hospitalization stay and therapy from a world-class institution. Very good for her, but very sad for so many other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment