Monday, July 14, 2014

Book #50: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible by Holly Ivins

Okay, I feel a little bit like I'm cheating by adding this book to the list, but I did read the whole thing and I enjoyed myself, so why not? I found this book while perusing in Strand Books in NYC this weekend, and read it on the plane on the way home. It's like a reference guide for all things Jane Austen, with lots of information about her novels, the time period, and Jane's life. I honestly don't know if I really learned all that much from it--I've read all the books, I've watched many Jane Austen movies, and I've seen Becoming Jane and read her Wikipedia page before. But it was still cool to see it all put together in one place and to get a refresher course. It's so sad that she died so young (at 41, I believe) because look at how much enjoyment she's provided for the world through her six novels--imagine if there were twenty! I would read them all--I really would. Just reading this made me want to re-read Northanger Abbey again--since it's been probably 3.5 years since I read it. And really all of her books--but I have so many on my list I want to get to!

No comments:

Post a Comment