Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Book #130: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I don't know that I've read this book (novella? it's really short, so not even sure what it qualifies as) more than once in my life. I really enjoyed reading through this this December. I of course remembered the story, but I liked finding the surprisingly funny parts in the written version. I loved the overall message, which does feel very poignant while reading it. The thing that really stuck out to me while reading this, which I don't think much about when watching any of the many versions I've seen, is how humble and humbled Scrooge must have been to actually make such a drastic change in his life. Even after seeing such a blatant and didactic vision as he did, it would have still been difficult to upend your life so completely, and potentially embarrassing to show yourself to everyone who has known you for decades. Even though it was a positive change he was making, it still said in the book that "people laughed at him." I like how he didn't care and still did what he knew now was right. It's such an encouraging story with the potential for change. Maybe next year I'll read some of the other Christmas-y Dickens stories that go along with it--I was planning to but with our trips it just didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment