Sunday, May 6, 2018

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder

This is the third Little House on the Prairie book that I've read with Dane, and I really enjoyed this one. It's the only book in the series that isn't about Laura, and I think that threw the boys off a little (Graham kept saying, "Where's Wowa? Why's Wowa not in this book?") but we all really enjoyed the story. There are some great episodes in this book, like the schoolteacher whipping the bad boys, the planting their farm, the training the oxen, and Almanzo finding the pocketbook at the end of the book. Dane seemed to really like listening about the animals and farm life. I do think that some of the chapters in this book are way too technical, like talking about how they baled the hay or threshed the wheat, and too hard for them to understand (so I did skip a few paragraphs here or there when it got too hard), and I do think they would like this even more when they get older. (Not that Graham listened to much of this book, but he acted like he thought he was listening and kept talking about Farmer Boy.) We are going to move on to something else now that we've read these, and I would love to come back to them another time in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment