Monday, May 14, 2018

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

I liked this book better than I liked Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, probably because it's more memoir-ish and therefore more real. There were so many funny stories about Sedaris's childhood and his adulthood, many of them about him moving to France and attempting to learn French. I was disappointed after finishing this to find out that the audiobook is an abridged version of the written book, because I would have liked to listen to more. He does a great job of telling about his life and making it funny, but also having a lot of heart and emotion in it at the same time. Some of the stories about his drug use or about his parents' reactions to him coming out as gay are poignant at moments, although he never comes across as self-pitying. I really enjoyed his balance of emotions and I would like to find another one of his memoir books (instead of his fictional ones) to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment