Sunday, May 6, 2018

Reading People by Anne Bogel

I have been following Modern Mrs. Darcy's reading blog for years and years, and I really love it and her. So when she wrote a book I added it to my to-read list, but I wasn't all that excited about that topic, really--about personality tests and how they can be useful or helpful. I have never been super into personality tests, and I never seem to get accurate results, so this seemed like a super-specific topic that didn't relate well to me. However, the library had an audiobook copy and I will listen to almost anything, since I go through lots of audiobooks, so I listened to it this past week and moderately enjoyed it. (Note: This book was definitely not the best for an audiobook. The Meyer's-Briggs chapters especially were filled with so many different letter names of the different types (ENFJ, ISFP, NF, SJ, whatever) that it was really hard to keep it all straight and to be interested in it. It would have been a much better book to read, but I probably wouldn't have gotten around to reading it for years.)

She talks about a bunch of different kinds of personality types in this book, starting with some basic ones like introvert/extrovert, Highly Sensitive People, the five love languages, and then getting into more complicated tests like Meyers-Briggs types and the Enneagram (which I still don't quite understand). She talks about her own personality types, how she discovered them, and how it's changed her life to understand these elements of her personality. This book definitely got me thinking about what my personality type is and how my personality affects the way I see the world. I did go take a few personality tests (legit ones, like the ones she talks about in her book) and I thought it was interesting, but I don't know that I am going to make it a huge hobby like she has to be investing a lot of time into thinking about my personality. I think it can be really helpful, especially to realize that not everyone else has the same personality, and to know how that can explain how we interact. For example, I thought a lot about Tommy and I and how our personalities differ, and how that can drive the way we talk to each other or think about certain issues. I think this book would actually be super useful to review later, and to actually read, but I don't know that I will do it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment