Sunday, May 6, 2018

Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher

I probably wouldn't have finished listening to this book if it hadn't been only 2.5 hours long and if it hadn't been so fun to listen to Carrie Fisher's distinctive Princess Leia voice reading it. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had been reading it instead of listening to it, because this novel seemed to have a lot of breaks and jumps in perspective and time/place, and it was hard to tell when and where each segment started or began. But the book is about Suzanne, an actress in and coming out of rehab, similar to Fisher herself, and her dissatisfaction with her life and her issues. Fisher is startlingly candid about her own insecurities (through Suzanne) and the book is so funny in a lot of her thoughts and asides about the Hollywood lifestyle she's living but dissatisfied with. I really enjoyed a lot of parts of it, but I didn't quite get a lot of it because of the medium. It does make me want to read her autobiography or maybe one of the biographies about her, but our library doesn't have any of them so that will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment