Sunday, July 8, 2018

An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle

This book came with my Wrinkle in Time set as the fifth book in the quintet, although I didn't know it existed. I read all of the first four many times as a kid but I had never even heard of this one. And now I know why... it really wasn't that good. It kind of is the last in a different series as well, which I haven't read, which meant that I didn't get a lot of the references and kept waiting for them to be explained (but they never were). This book is about Meg and Calvin's daughter, Polly, who comes to live with her grandparents in their old house, for some unexplained reason, and she meets this boy there from some previous encounter (which is never explained, since it's from the other series) and she somehow stumbles into a time-travel series where she keeps accidentally going back three thousand years into the past and interacting with the People of the Wind who live there. But about 2/3 of the book is just her accidentally going back to the past for a second, then talking about it with her grandparents and asking them what they think, and talking about it some more. It really moved slowly and I didn't love it at all. Oh well, there it is. I still love the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment