Thursday, July 26, 2018

How Children Succeed by Paul Tough

I feel like the main point of this book was basically: read Grit. Because your kids need grit. Half of this book was talking about Angela Duckworth and her research, and using several examples that she even talked about in her book too. Tough used some very vivid examples of kids who have grown up in adverse circumstances to illustrate the research he's writing about, and it was inspiring and interesting. However, I didn't have any solid takeaways about what to do with our kids, other than de-emphasizing academic skills (which, I feel is obvious, although maybe that's because I've already read Grit), and focusing on character strengths that most kids aren't getting these days. And, that it's good to be a high-LG parent, as in Licking and Grooming (as in what rats do to their kids) because that helps give them a solid emotional foundation.

I feel like I should have more to say about this book, but maybe since it was an audiobook I didn't get as much out of it. And, it just didn't seem like it had a ton of information in it. It was good, but I didn't love it and it didn't change my worldview or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment