Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery

This was possibly my favorite of the Anne of Green Gables books when I was younger. I would reach for this one before any of the other ones if I was wanting to read something happy. I think now the first three are my true favorites (because Anne is hardly in this one), but I still feel a lot of love for this book. I like it much more than Anne of Ingleside, because that one feels like a random assortment of stories about her kids, none of them connected or leading to a bigger point. This one is totally about the kids, but it focuses more on their new neighbors, the Merediths, who have moved into the manse nearby, and their friendship with the Blythes and their struggle to grow up. I love that there is an ongoing story with the irrepressible Faith and sweet Una and Jerry and Carl making hilarious mistakes (like going to church with no stockings on! Shocking! Scandalous!) and trying to behave better in order to help their father. I have to say, I can't see why they love their father so much when he completely ignores them and is so caught up in his theological thinking, and I cannot understand him for being so abstracted all the time when his kids are starving for attention. It's pretty neglectful, even though they have a housekeeper taking care of them.

I'm dying now to read Rilla of Ingleside. I've been thinking about it for the last few weeks as I've been reading the last few and I'm so excited. I love that one so much. This whole series has been a breath of fresh air for me and it's been so great for me to read these beloved books.

No comments:

Post a Comment