Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

I didn't know much about this book--I'd just written down the name of the second book in this trilogy as a good audiobook to listen to from a recommendation from somewhere, but I had to start at the beginning of the trilogy to listen to it. This was the story of Katsa, a girl graced with the skill of killing anyone with her bare hands or whatever weapon she chooses. She is being used as the weapon of the king, and she feels trapped by his power. Throughout the book, she learns about her own power and her ability to control herself and others through her power.

I thought this book was really good and well-written, and it was set in an interesting world and with a great story. Katsa and Po were both great characters as well. My only real complaint was that Katsa's opinions about relationships and commitment were really obnoxious. It's just so typical of every "strong" female character to refuse to commit to marry someone because then they have to answer to them, to refuse to have babies because they will get in the way of their own passions. I think it's such an immature way to view relationships and children. And I also really don't love stories about 15-year-olds and 16-year-olds having sex with people. I know that it happens, and I know that it's probably normal for many other people, but I don't think it's healthy and I don't think it should be normalized in teen literature.

But the rest of the book was really great, and I loved Katsa as a character other those issues (which, to be fair, I think are probably understandable because of her background with her uncle the king).

No comments:

Post a Comment