Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

I really, really wanted to read the unabridged version of this this year, but I just couldn't do it. We had a family book club discussion about this book in Newport Beach, and the goal was for everyone in the family to read it together. Only about half of us did. BUT I'm glad that I still got around to reading the abridged version again, because it has been too long--at least seven years. I absolutely love this book, and it's Tommy's favorite book ever, which is something I love about him too. He's read the unabridged 1200 page version two times now, which is definitely an accomplishment.

This time reading it I was struck by the difference in Edmond Dantes' character vs. the Count's character, and how much less we know about him after becoming the Count. When he's in prison, we hear his thoughts and see his feelings, but once he becomes the Count, it's like he goes into costume for us as well. We no longer are privy to his plans or thoughts, which becomes a necessary part of the suspense for the story, but it also makes him a less sympathetic character. I feel like I could write a whole paper about this difference and what it is for, but I won't here. The other thing I was struck by was the emphasis on honor at this time and how much their culture valued it; it was better to commit suicide than to declare bankruptcy, and better to duel to the death than to allow someone to insult you. I think there are good things about their value of honor, but also negative things too--I don't think people should commit suicide just because they've lost their money.

We also watched the movie, and I love thinking about the differences between the movie and the story in the book. I used to prefer the movie ending, where the Count ends up with Mercedes, but I also think it's more realistic that he doesn't end up with her. Too much time has passed and too much has happened to the both of them for them to still be in love. I definitely enjoyed reading this book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment