Saturday, September 12, 2020

Recipe for Persuasion by Sonali Dev

This is the sequel to Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors, and I loved it almost as much as that one. This book was about Trisha's cousin Ashna, who was a minor character in the first book, and follows the basic storyline of Persuasion--Ashna and her high school boyfriend were separated by her father, and now, twelve years later, they are thrown back together as partners on a new cooking show and Ashna has to start letting go of the walls she's built up over the years. I really loved the idea of the story and how well Dev incorporated the Persuasion storyline. I also loved how she included this backstory of Ashna's about her mother trying to come back into her life and trying to apologize for how she's left her alone for so many years, and how she addressed some serious issues. I was just a little turned off by some of the less believable aspects of the story--like Ashna has panic attacks any time she tries to cook anything other than her father's recipes? Yet she's been a chef at her restaurant for the last ten years? I don't buy it. I also felt like Ashna and Rico's misunderstandings were a little juvenile and could easily have been handled by either of them saying ANYTHING to communicate... but I still really enjoyed the book and how they fell in love with each other all over again. Definitely a fun read and definitely an exciting ending. I would love to read another one of these if Dev writes any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment