Thursday, March 18, 2021

Less by Andrew Sean Greer

I have an eventual goal to try and read all the Pulitzer winners, and although I've been focused way more on the Newberys the last two years, I still want to try and get through these. Less was the 2018 Pulitzer winner, and I honestly finally got to it because it was available on audiobook when I was looking for something to listen to. I actually had it on e-book as well, and I ended up switching back and forth between the two when either one was better for me at that moment, and I actually liked it way, way better on audiobook. I feel like the comedy of the story really came out with the audio--maybe it was that I was reading too fast to really savor the funny elements of it when I wasn't forced to slow down with the audiobook pace. In any case, I did really like how this story was funny but still heartfelt, how Arthur Less had real feelings and real issues, even while he had many of the same problems happening to him over and over again. I was annoyed with how he kept sleeping with random people and how that was his solution to everything over the years, though--I really don't love that kind of lifestyle or books about it (straight or gay, doesn't matter). But many of the adventures Less gets caught up in in this book were written about so well that I could imagine them--riding on camels, getting injured in India, etc. I was torn and couldn't decide how much I actually liked this book at the end--if I just liked the narration or the book itself--but I'm glad I read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment