Tuesday, March 9, 2021

When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller

This was the 2021 Newbery winner, and it was available on audiobook from our library, so I snapped it right up. I actually really enjoyed this story, about Lily and her Korean grandmother. I loved its focus on stories and the power they have for us, and the influence of Lily's Korean heritage on her life and the story itself. I thought Lily was a determined and strong heroine, but not unbelievable, because she makes mistakes and obviously doesn't think as clearly as an adult, so she would be relatable for a kid. It seemed like it was going to be more magical than it was--there is an invisible-to-everyone-else tiger that talks to Lily, after all--but the book was really more about Lily and her relationship with her grandmother, her mom, and her sister, all of whom have important moments in the book both by themselves and with Lily. I loved that we got to know all of the characters and see them grow. I did feel confused by what Lily and the magical tiger were accomplishing--like, how did this actually happen?--but it was balanced out by the beauty of the rest of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment