Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

I did not love this book. I guess I'm not a dog person, but this story about a boy finding a dog and rescuing it from his abusive and mean owner did not get to me. I also think this book shows how much has changed over time in how we view our collective responsibility towards people and animals--I don't think a person mistreating his animals would be ignored or accepted like Judd Travers was in this book anymore. I think there's a chance Dane would actually really like this book, though--it does seem like one that would actually appeal to kids (appropriately). The boy in the story is pretty heroic in his determination to save the dog and stick up to the mean owner, and I think that would appeal to Dane (but I doubt I'll be able to get him to read it). I did root for Marty and was glad that Shiloh ended up being safe with him at the end, though. I'm not completely heartless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment