Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates

I thought this book was really eye-opening and interesting, with stories from Melinda Gates's charity work around the world and explaining what has guided her interests and focus in her charity over the years. I feel like I was already on board with her main principles of the importance of focusing on women and women's empowerment, but I feel like I learned a lot from her experiences and the stories she shared about the importance of lifting women and especially in focusing on contraceptives for women. I obviously take a lot for granted in my privileged life as a white woman in the U.S., but I think the most obvious thing I have taken for granted is my ability to access contraceptives and how important that has been for my ability to care for my children and to have a happy life without worrying about getting pregnant at any moment. Gates talks about a lot of other issues as well, like the importance of education, maternal healthcare, stopping genital cutting, and other things that her charities are really involved in, and I really liked the insight on how you don't just swoop in as an outsider and force people to change, but how you have to have empathy and be a part of them in order to help things become better. Each chapter added something new and was interesting, and it was inspiring to see how much good is being done all over the world (not just by Melinda Gates, but a lot by her and her charities).

No comments:

Post a Comment