Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

I'd heard a lot about this book, and specifically heard the audiobook version was good. I don't know that I would have bothered to read it if I hadn't had an audiobook copy, because I am trying to work through a lot of other books that are taking more of precedence over random library books for now. But today and the last few days I've been working on a bunch of projects so I couldn't read, but I could listen to an audiobook, so I got a lot of listening in on this and managed to get through it pretty quickly. My main reaction is that I really liked it. It was quick-paced and exciting and engrossing, and a fun read. The story is about Wade Watts, a teenager set in 2045, who is participating in a worldwide contest searching for a hidden Easter egg in the Oasis virtual reality video game. Whoever finds the egg wins the prize of billions of dollars and control over the Oasis.

Here's what I liked about the book: it was fast, fun, and had a super-interesting premise. I thought it was very well-written and it was easy to stay engaged in it, even though I am decidedly not a video game person and the entire book is about video games, past and future. I liked (some of) the 80s references too.

Here's what I didn't like about the book: there were a few things I didn't understand, or quite believe, in the plot. Like, the year is only 2045 and the world is completely unrecognizable from today? I don't believe that. And little things--like Wade goes into debt and has to become the company's indentured servant to pay off his debt? In only 30 years from now? I honestly do not believe that would change that drastically. There were also a few times where I felt like the author contradicted himself about things a few pages or chapters apart (which always bugs me to no end--why did no editor catch that?). It also seemed like a way unnecessarily over-the-top amount of 80s references. It seemed unrealistic that the entire world would be that obsessed with the 80s and not be somewhat annoyed by it, without thinking, "Wow, I don't mind studying all this 80s stuff because it might make us billions of dollars if we win, but I would rather listen to 2045 music once in a while?" There was not a single reference to any sort of contemporary pop culture (other than Oasis video feeds, etc.), which seemed kind of unbelievable as well. There was also some profanity, and more than I thought was necessary.

Anyway, even though my paragraph about the negatives of this book is longer than the positives, I actually thought this book was solid. It's just easier to point out specific things that are irking me than specific things I liked. Here's the main selling point: the book was so good that I kept finding excuses to listen for longer than necessary so that I could get farther along in the story. This is definitely one I'll want to go see the movie. The trailer looks good and I'm excited to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment