Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

I feel like half of my audiobook posts start this way: I was looking for a good, quick audiobook to listen to, and this one was available so I checked it out. I really enjoyed listening to Murder on the Orient Express, so I decided to check out a few other Agatha Christies as well. This one is the first in the Hercule Poirot series, so our main introduction to Poirot, and it's pretty good, as far as murder mysteries go. I feel a little like there were too many clues to keep straight here, and I also felt like the narrator, Hastings, was too dense to be believable. Poirot would say things with a pretty obvious explanation and Hastings would never catch the meaning behind what he was saying. I understand the purpose of a Dr. Watson character to whom the detective has to explain what he's thinking, but this was laying it on a little too thick. Also, I hate how Poirot is so stingy with explaining anything throughout the case, only explaining any of his thoughts at the end. Like, he knew for weeks and months what had really happened but he refused to tell anyone because he didn't have proof? Why didn't he tell them so they could help him find it? I hate when it's forced like that. But oh well, that's part of the genre, I suppose, to have a big reveal at the end, so it's hard to get away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment