Friday, December 7, 2018

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

This was the last book in the Bayern series by Shannon Hale which I listened to in November (and which I'm only just now getting around to writing about!). I felt like this was the worst of the four books--the first half of it especially was annoying. It was almost 1/3 longer than River Secrets and could definitely have been cut down, I felt. But it also was kind of odd to read from yet another different character's perspective and to hear about all these other characters that were main characters in the other books, and to see them being so one-dimensional in this book after seeing them so well-rounded in the other books. Enna in this book is tough and fierce, almost to an extreme, always wanting to fight people and beat them up, basically, and that's pretty much all you see about her. The conversations between Enna, Dasha, and Isi seemed completely unrealistic to me, and kind of annoying, and it was totally unbelievable that Rin could just show up and follow them around and they would be fine with it. I also was a little confused about Rinna's powers as a tree-speaker, and with the whole scene where she avoids all the arrows and stuff by acting like a tree, but it didn't bother me that much. Overall, I was glad to get through this just to finish the series, and I was glad with how it ended, but I didn't like it as much as the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment