Sunday, February 24, 2019

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

I set a goal for the year to read one chapter book a month with my boys. That's not super ambitious or anything, but I know that it takes us a while--some days we will read three or four chapters in one sitting, but then we will go a week without reading. After we finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, my boys would not rest without reading the sequel. But whereas Charlie and the Chocolate Factory felt like fun and we all couldn't wait to get to the next chapter (so we read it in less than two weeks), this one felt a lot more like work to me. The boys loved it, but I wasn't as interested. It's a little bit whacky, with the whole Bucket clan going up into space in the great glass elevator and up to the great space hotel, and then venturing into Minusland after Grandma Georgina takes too many age-reducing vitamins from Mr. Wonka. The story did not feel like it went together--it was definitely two totally separate adventures--and it wasn't all that appealing to me. I'm glad to have finished and we are moving on to The BFG next!

No comments:

Post a Comment