Saturday, February 2, 2019

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman

I read this one because it was another Newbery winner, and I was sure I'd read it before. For some reason I kind of thought this book was Catherine, Called Birdy, which I am so familiar with and which I'm pretty sure I read and liked at some point. (They're by the same author and have similar looking covers, so that's why.) But I didn't really love this book. I liked the setting in medieval times, and the subject matter of the midwife helping babies be born, but I didn't feel like I really connected with any of the characters or cared about them. That's probably realistic, because Alyce was a silent, lonely, neglected medieval orphan who naturally wasn't going to be the most outgoing of people. But I was just grateful this book was so short. Maybe I would have liked it if I'd read it when I was a kid, but I felt very ambivalent about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment