Tuesday, February 5, 2019

One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus

I don't remember how I heard about this, but I had it on my list of audiobooks to listen to for the last six months. I even had it checked out a few times but never got around to it. And I finally started it yesterday and blasted through it in less than 36 hours. I couldn't stop listening! I kept finding things to do where I could listen at the same time. It's basically the Breakfast Club turned murder mystery--five kids (the same five types of kids that are in the Breakfast Club) go into detention, but one of them ends up dying. The other four become murder suspects because it turns out the kid who died was about to post each of their worst secrets online to the world. The four suspects begin to work together to solve the crime and to find out who really did it, and all sorts of revelations come to light about each of them, showing they're not all just what their stereotypes show them to be.

I obviously really enjoyed listening to this (obviously) and got very sucked into the story. I felt like some of the story was a little annoying--like the end seemed a little too perfectly happy ending for me, and it seems unlikely that the police would have been so misled by random anonymous Internet sources (at least I hope so)--but otherwise it was really good. I felt like I got to know all of the characters and was invested in each of them and their transformations over the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment