Thursday, February 21, 2019

Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan

I read one book by Kelly Corrigan years ago (and I remember absolutely nothing about it, haha), but I kept seeing review about this book and mentions of it as a good audiobook, so I requested the library purchase an e-audiobook copy of it and they actually DID! (Shocker of all shockers--our library NEVER purchases copies of books that I recommend to purchase.) And this was a good audiobook--a thoughtful, honest, vulnerable memoir-ish book made up of twelve essays about important phrases that build connection and love between people. I mostly loved how open and honest Corrigan was in these essays, and how she wrote about the people she loved in such a loving way while looking at her own faults and mistakes. She made herself so relatable, explaining the confusing mistakes she has made as a parent and the oxymoron of loving these people more than anything yet making the worst mistakes ever with them. She wrote so movingly about her father's recent death and the death of one of her closest friends as well. I think my favorite essay was the one at the end titled "This Is It," where she talked about how even with its horrible moments and the dullness and difficulty of parenting sometimes, this is exactly the life that she wanted. I think of that often too--how I'm living my dream life right now, even though it's hard sometimes to see that through the weeds. I also loved her essay "Tell Me More" where she talked about a conversation she had with her daughter where she said that instead of trying to "fix" her problem, mostly because it was a good reminder of how to talk to our kids to build connection with them instead of always trying to be right. This was definitely a worthwhile audiobook and one I'm glad to have listened to.

No comments:

Post a Comment