Saturday, April 4, 2020

New Kid by Jerry Craft

This is a graphic novel that won the Newbery, which I'm guessing is a first. I really enjoyed reading this though. It is not something that I would have picked up otherwise (surprisingly, I'm not the most into graphic novels) but I liked how this one was a super realistic book, based on a kid going to a new private school in New York City and being one of the only people of color at the whole school. You see everything through Jordan's perspective and all of the micro-agressions the few people of color have to deal with at his school. He slowly makes friends with kids, starts to get to know the school, and adjusts to this new life of his. But not everything is resolved; you can tell that these issues will continue for the next year, but Jordan is ready for it. I really liked seeing everything from Jordan's perspective, and thought this book was funny, interesting, and believable. It was definitely a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment