Thursday, April 23, 2020

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

I listened to this book a few years ago, but I suggested it for a book club read for my book club next month, and read it again today. It was just as good as I remembered it, and so amazing in so many ways. I love the perspective this book gives on WWII for a kid. I've read about the evacuation of kids from London, but this book gives such a great picture of what that was like, and there are bits and pieces about searching for spies and hiding in their bomb shelter from bombs. I also love how well this book does at depicting a child's reaction to trauma and her whole childhood of being abused and mistreated. Obviously I hate to think of children being treated this way, but it doesn't feel hopeless in this book because the book is the story of how she gets out of that situation. But I really appreciate how this book does not sugarcoat how Ada's recovery and adaptation to life in a healthy environment will go. It really bugs me when characters get over things so quickly, but even as Ada makes progress, she has moments when she falls back and where she still doesn't trust anyone. I felt like being in Ada's head was so raw and real, and I really liked how well Bradley did this. This book is exceptionally good, one that I hope my boys will read when they get a little older.

No comments:

Post a Comment