Monday, April 6, 2020

The Work and the Glory 3: Truth Will Prevail by Gerald N. Lund

I feel like Gerald N. Lund is really hitting his stride in this book. I love the Joshua storyline in this book. Although, similar to my complaints about the second book, part of me feels like Joshua's character development is so rapid that it's almost like whiplash. He goes from being the bitter, angry character we've seen all of the other books, to being a loving husband and loving his family again. It just feels like it should take longer and more than a few talks with his new wife to help him shift so drastically. But obviously, I am on board with Nicer Joshua, and I love the romance between him and Caroline, and of course the Steed family council at the end of the book was super sweet and touching. I also love the storyline of the missionaries to England, and finding Derek and Peter Ingalls, and Nathan's mission to Canada as well. It is really helpful to add more characters to the story and to see additional places where the Saints were. I found myself skimming some of the sections about the uprisings going on in Kirtland, though, because they seemed overblown and annoying (but that probably had more to do with the subject matter itself instead of the writing). I think this book was the best one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment