Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

I feel like it is inadequate to label this book as just "fiction," but I don't have a tab for "Christian meditations" or anything like that. This is classic C. S. Lewis, a novel that seems like an allegory of some sort, where a man gets on a bus that takes him from hell to heaven, and he sees all sorts of people trying to get into heaven and what sorts of problems they have there. I didn't really get into this one as much as I did The Screwtape Letters, though, although this seems like a similar style, and there were definitely huge moments of light, which Lewis does so well. I think part of my problem with it was that I was trying to go quickly instead of being willing to sit and savor it, which means I didn't really get as much out of it as I could have. But I did underline plenty of parts in it for us to talk about at our book club next week. I am glad to have read another Lewis book, which has been on my bookshelf for years and which I've never bothered to read until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment