Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Work and the Glory 4: Thy Gold to Refine by Gerald N. Lund

This book was my favorite of the series so far. Lund has definitely improved as a writer, and also--this book is heavy on the Steed family drama and less on the church history as a whole... which doesn't mean that I don't like the Church history aspect of it, but some of it was really dry in the first couple of books. I think he's maybe figured out better how to incorporate the Steeds into these major Church history events without making it a big narrative production. I kind of hate the whole Caroline/Will storyline in this book, to imagine how terrifying it must have been for them and how dramatic it has to be, for them to not know where Will was at the end of the book. I do think the Haun's Mill and Far West and traveling to Quincy part of this book was very well done and very interesting. Moving on to the fifth one soon, after I've gotten through a few other books I've had on my shelf for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment