Saturday, August 29, 2020

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Of course, while I was reading all of the lesser rewrites and fan fictions of Pride and Prejudice, I had to read the real thing too. The thing that always stands out when I read P&P is that it doesn't feel all that romantic to me. It feels so comedic. People think of it as purely a romance, because of all the love for Mr. Darcy, but when you actually read it, there is so many funny one-liners and side-eyes at the characters and so many hilarious observations about what they are doing and what they are like. I absolutely love that about this book. Every time I read this, I wish I could be as witty and wry and wise as Jane Austen and write something this hilarious in a modern-day style. Not a rewrite of P&P, but a social commentary in such a funny way. I know that many people do that these days, but nobody gets it like Jane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment