Monday, August 10, 2020

The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner

Well, it's a rare book that I can check both the "Jane Austen/Regency" and "WWII" labels for the same book... but this one does. It takes place during WWII times but it is a fictional account of the beginning of the Jane Austen Society trying to save her home in the tiny hamlet of Chawton and make it into a Jane Austen museum. I was especially interested when I heard about this book, because I actually WENT to Jane Austen's home in Chawton last summer--although now I wish I'd gone around the town more and explored it. I loved this story and thought it was great how the author incorporated random interpretations of her books through her characters' thoughts into the story. I am starting to get annoyed with every single book having to have a gay "best friend" in it--even this one. I'm pretty sure 75% of the books I've read this year have had that. I think it's great to have representation but I'm annoyed with people just doing things to be on-trend, and this is definitely a trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment