Saturday, August 28, 2021

Crying in HMart by Michelle Zauner

I loved this audiobook memoir. Michelle Zauner writes about her relationship with her mother, watching her mother die from cancer, growing up half-Asian in a small Oregon town, and her relationship with Korean culture and food and how that has evolved over her lifetime. The book has some flashbacks about her childhood, but mostly focuses on her mother's battle against cancer and Zauner's attempt to help and then grieve. She wrote in the most tantalizing way about Korean food, which made me want to go out right now and learn what all of those things are and to learn how to make them. And I found it so interesting that at the end, she became famous and achieved fame through her music, which she was giving up throughout the process of the book. I had no idea that was coming. I loved the whole arc of this story and the writing was brutally honest and really well done. Such an interesting memoir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment