Saturday, October 2, 2021

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I'm always seeing book recommendations for books by Taylor Jenkins Reid, and I really loved her one other book I've listened to (Daisy Jones and the Six). So I was excited to listen to another one of her audiobooks. This one was a story about a family in the 60s-80s in Los Angeles, and while they were definitely a dysfunctional family, I loved how the brothers and sisters all loved and supported each other. Their good feelings and good relationship really carried how I felt about this book. Nina, Jay, Hud, and Kit Riva all were really well-established characters, and I loved each one in their own way. But I especially loved the story of how their parents, June and Mick, met and fell in and out of love and all of the problems they had along the way. I also really loved the atmosphere and the setting and everything about the Malibu background. It's so fun to picture Malibu being this sleepy old little beach town, when it's so expensive and fancy today. I thought it was fun how the sand and saltwater dirtiness mixed with the glamour of the rich famous surfer life of the Rivas, and I thought the ending was really satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment