Friday, October 15, 2021

The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary

Okay, I loved The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary a few years ago, and when I saw another book by her, I immediately wanted to read it. But this one got so weird and felt like such a stretch that I did not feel the same interest in the characters or wishing for them to get together. The story is about two exes who get into a car accident with each other on the way to a mutual wedding that they were invited to, and then they end up having to carpool with each other (and a few other friends) to the wedding for eight hours. I thought it was going to be lighthearted and funny, but it honestly wasn't. I loved the story of how they originally got together, at an Italian villa where she was the manager and he was a guest, but I felt like the whole story of how their relationship went sour and why they broke up and what problems they had really felt too depressing and wrong. There was so much bad treatment of the girl by the boy and his friends and it really made me not want her to get back into that relationship, even if he had "changed." So I wasn't really excited to see how they got to the wedding and what happened, but I felt like I had to finish it at that point. Oh, and there was a stalker in the story too, which seemed like it was supposed to be funny but it was also kind of creepy and weird. So basically not my favorite audiobook or romance of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment