Friday, April 9, 2021

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

I actually really liked this audiobook. I had seen this book cover around for years and just ignored it because I thought it seemed like it would be a lot like Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, which I actually really liked, but which I felt like was too trendy and flash-in-the-pan-ish. And I don't know what really gave me that impression other than the covers were slightly similar. But I heard someone mention really liking this book, and I was looking for an audiobook to read, and I checked this one out and immediately fell in love with it. I loved getting to know Eleanor as she slowly let us know what her life was like, I loved her snide asides and her thoughts about her coworkers and the people around her, and I loved how the story progressed and she developed as a person. I like how she didn't immediately transform into someone completely capable and unrecognizable once she began to "fix" herself, but she slowly put in the work to understand why she was so solitary and lonely and unable to connect with anyone. I really loved all of the characters in this book and I loved that it didn't turn out to be a romance in the end--she didn't need to fall in love with someone to be happy and to love herself. I thought it was a really great book and I'm really happy I listened to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment