Tuesday, April 27, 2021

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

I have wanted to read this book ever since I read the premise years ago, but our library didn't have a copy, so I figured I'd forget about it--but every time I came across it I wanted to read it again. Finally I used Interlibrary Loan to get a copy, and I had a great time reading it. It basically asks the question--what would happen if the Queen of England became obsessed with reading? It gave the queen such a funny personality and it showed her developing new thought processes and ideas and feelings due to her reading habits. It's a novella so it ended up being super short, but I really liked it and liked the ideas it raised about the value of reading and writing and sharing things, and the question of why some people are anti-reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment