Friday, April 9, 2021

Joyful Noise and I Am Phoenix: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman

These are two different collections of poetry, written for two voices. Joyful Noise was the Newbery winner in 1989, but the library had both of these put together in one audio collection, and TOTAL they were 32 minutes of listening--so of course I listened to them both. This definitely was a collection to listen to on audio--I feel like the meaning of it would have been lost by just reading them without hearing them performed, as they were meant to be. Similar to Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!, which was also a poetry collection written to be performed. Joyful Noise was poems about insects, and I Am Phoenix was poems about different types of birds. I loved several of the poems, particularly the one about the bumblebees. They were really cute, fun to listen to, and definitely worth half an hour of my time. I don't have anything else deep to add to it, since I was listening and not reading and didn't take any notes... but I thought they were both sweet collections.


No comments:

Post a Comment