Saturday, January 23, 2021

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz

This is something completely different from all of the normal middle-grade novels that usually win the Newbery Award. It's a set of monologues that depict different children of a medieval village, meant for children in a class to be able to perform as they learn about the Middle Ages. I thought it was a very strange idea and was not interested in reading this, but I saw several reviews saying that this was very good as an audiobook, so I ended up listening to it and reading it at the same time. It turned out to be very well done and fun to read and listen to. Each monologue is from a different character, and they each stand out as very distinctive and individual characters. I was pleasantly surprised by it, but I don't understand it as a Newbery winner. I don't think any child would ever pick this up and read it for pleasure, or even read more of it than their one monologue they were assigned if they were doing it for school. I think this was a perfectly fine book, but it should not have won the Newbery award. And that seems to be a pretty common sentiment based on everyone's reviews on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment