Wednesday, January 6, 2021

The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare

I had this book on my bedside stand for months, meaning to read it, and I am finally clearing off the books on my bedside stand and got through this one. This is about a boy in the 1700s (or earlier?) in Maine, who is left for the summer to guard his family's new cabin while his father goes to their old home to get his mom and sister to bring them back. He becomes friends with a Native American boy who lives nearby and learns all sorts of tricks for survival in the Maine woods. I thought this book did a good job of humanizing the Native Americans, but it also had some problematic stereotypes which probably would have been edited out if it were being written today. I think this one would appeal to my boys though because of the survival aspect and the exciting scenes like where they fight a bear. This one isn't a Newbery Award winner, although it did win a Newbery Honor and I thought it was worth reading because Speare wrote two other Award winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment