Saturday, January 9, 2021

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

I absolutely loved this murder mystery. This was a book recommendation from a friend--we ended up reading it for book club--and when she described it as "four eighty-year-olds solving a murder" I immediately put it on my to-read list. Who wouldn't love that book description? I bought a copy but didn't have a chance to read it so I ended up listening to it on Audible and just loved every second of it. The four members of the Thursday Murder Club--Elizabeth, Ron, Ibrahim, and Joyce--were this great fun group of people, and I absolutely loved all of the characters. I thought Osmand did an amazing job at developing each character to have his or her own personality and to be so distinct from the rest. I loved being able to hear all of their thoughts at different times, and I thought all of the asides that almost seemed like throwaways were so hilarious. The murders were exciting and hard to figure out. And I loved how the characters constantly were taking advantage of the fact that they were old and nobody would want to arrest them or would take them seriously. The main takeaway was the undeniable lesson that we all underestimate older people and to not do that. This was such a fun read and the audiobook was fantastic as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment